Follow

Review: "A Fate Inked in Blood" by Danielle L. Jensen (Saga of the Unfated #1) ★★★★★

Review: A Fate Inked in Blood by Danielle L. Jensen

I love Norse mythology, Vikings, shieldmaidens (thank you Éowyn from Lord of the Rings), fantasy, magic, medieval battles, forbidden romance, slowburns but instant attraction – and let’s not forget the absolutely gorgeous cover – so it was only natural I would adore this book!
“It is hard to keep one’s wits when faced with a woman as beautiful as the sight of shore to a man who has been lost at sea.”

[Contains some spoilers]

PLOT SUMMARY
20-year-old Freya is the wife of toxic fisherman Vragi, who longs to be away from her horrid husband waging wars like her brother Geir can. Her husband betrays Freya by revealing her secret to Jarl Snorri: she is a child of the Norse goddess Hlin, possessing a drop of her blood as well as some magical powers that she has attempted to hide. She is also unfated, meaning that though the Gods may have predictions her fate is not set in stone therefore unpredictable.

Snorri has been searching for her for 2 decades since a seer prophesied that Freya would be the one to unite the people of Skaland under one King, marrying her so he would eventually become said King from the prophecy. His son Bjorn, possessing Tyr’s blood, is tasked with being her protégé and mentor, teaching her how to fight. Handsome, witty and kind but also burdened by his past, he and Freya get on like a house on fire (or should I say cabin? Sorry!). And I mean they really get on. He saves her, she saves him. But therein arises a problem: she loves him but how is he possibly an option when she is wedded to his father?

Finally able to live the life she dreamed of as a warrior, the prospects do not seem as pleasant as they once did. With the threat of just about everyone wanting to possess her for her powers or straight-up kill her, the inevitability of the loss of innocent lives no matter her choices, a cryptic spectre that keeps appearing, and on top of everything a traitor in their midst, Freya gets more than what she bargained for.

This book is told from the first-person past tense perspective of Freya.

freya and bjorn by alice blake art
Freya and Bjorn by Alice Blake Art

OVERALL OPINIONS
This is my first Danielle L Jensen book and I cannot believe I have not read her work sooner! Be assured, The Bridge Kingdom series is going further up my TBR list. I was a little late to buying a physical copy and even later reading it, but I am ever so glad I have now!

<< Positives >>
Aside from its stunning blue dust cover and art, the story’s plot itself was excellent – so much so that I did not want to put the book down. The world-building was done especially well, as was the pacing in general, and the depth of the characters. It was good to see the dynamic of toxic relationships and families, effectively raising awareness of this sort of thing.
• It was also very entertaining, especially whenever Freya and Bjorn had conversations. For me, I especially loved the scene in which Bjorn and Freya meet – what I call love at first flung fish haha – it got me grinning so much that I said to myself then and there that even if the rest of the book was terrible, this was a great scene. I can say without a doubt that these two were the best parts of the whole book. Especially Bjorn.
The plot twists at the very end were great, most of them I had seen a mile away, particularly *that* betrayal – but did not make it less enjoyable when they were revealed! Indeed, I was squeaking “I knew it!!!” to anyone who listened. I had no idea what the other half of Freya’s blood would be and I should have realised given those powers had happened before, but that was an interesting surprise.
• Danielle did an outstanding job at drawing me into this universe, I honestly did not want to return back to the real world. Being the first part of a Saga, I am very excited to see where the story goes from here. I cannot wait to read more, though I have a feeling we will be waiting a little while.
• Also, kudos to her for having a page on her website with audio clips to help people with the pronunciation of the Norse names. It would have been more useful, however, to have included a phonetic pronunciation at the end of the book and inserted a QR code there to direct readers to the website for further help.

<< Negatives >>
• The cliffhanger ending. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, I am just not so keen when people do it – though I can see why it has been selected, and it was done most effectively.
• The only thing missing from the book has to be a map. I know it isn’t necessary but I like to see where things are in relation to other places.

NORSE INSPIRATION
The main inspiration that can be seen is both the use of Norse Gods and their powers, but also including shieldmaidens and seers. The ideas of rune tattoos and warpaints are also very accurate – it almost makes me want to get runes as tattoos!
Shieldmaidens were very respected. Seers were an important figure in Norse mythology, able to see into the future and were usually women who practiced Sei∂r (prophetic magic). Vikings believed greatly in fate so these people were viewed very highly.
<< List of characters with Norse God powers (& what they are) >>
🠚 Freya – Hlin, Goddess of Protection (protective glow around objects) and Hel, Goddess of Death (able to kill people by cursing them)
🠚 Bjorn – Tyr, God of War (wields fire axe)
🠚 Vragi – Njord, God of the Sea (enables control of sea creatures, quicker fishing)
🠚 Bodil – Forseti, God of Justice (able to tell if someone is lying or not)
🠚 Tora – Thor, God of Thunder (lightning)
🠚 Skade – Ullr, God of Archery and Hunting (uses magical arrows that never miss their target)

freya and bjorn by stephanie brown @offbeatworlds
Freya and Bjorn by Stephanie Brown

CHARACTERS
-ˋˏ ᛥ ꒰ Freya | ᚠᚱᛅᚢᛁᛅ ꒱ ᛥ ˎˊ-
↳ Freya is “a clever, passionate woman with a good heart”. She is someone I went easily from love to hate to love, and that’s a good thing because it means the character is realistic. But at times even I was like why is she so weak or idiotic haha – however being the age of 20 this feels rather believable. Indeed, she is very mature for her age, and it is evidently from her harsh life that has meant she’s had to grow up too soon.
🠚 We get a good sense of who she is when the story begins, then as we go along the reader comes to understand more why she is the way she is. Many good books depict the difficulty and expectations of women in a patriarchal society and this one is no exception. She starts as helpless and dependent, the usual subservient woman in a world dominated by men; she becomes a bloodthirsty warrior striving for vengeance that her own people follow not out of respect but fear.
🠚 Freya has for all her life been passed over, as can be seen through her transfer of uncaring husbands but is unable to be free because of their hold over her. Like her powers from Hlin she wants to protect people, above all her family that her husbands both threaten to harm should her loyalty stray. She feels used by everyone, and rightly so because everyone – and I really mean everyone, even those she trusted the most – want to use her for her powers.
🠚 She blames herself for other people’s misfortunes and has a low self-esteem, relatable traits. However, she is loyal to a fault as her family, as Bjorn rightly puts, “do not deserve” her loyalty. They have never done anything for her!
ㅤㅤᛃ Her mother even before she was born put her brother before her.
ㅤㅤᛃ Freya even kills her husband after he threatens to marry her best friend Ingrid, her acts ensuring her brother Gier and Ingrid can finally be together, yet neither of them pity her or wish she wasn’t stuck marrying Snorri. Worst of all, Ingrid knew of her secret powers because Geir confessed it as it “weighed upon him”. Terrible brother, not considering how much of a burden her own secret was to her. And an even worse best friend.
🠚 I like the idea that Freya is a child of two bloods, a rare gift, and has two conflicting powers which can either make or break the realm depending on which path she chooses.

*⁀➷ Favourite quotes
• nothing about life was fair, yet I was so sick of seeing those who were powerless harmed by the actions of those who were supposed to protect them.
• “Perhaps as well as possessing the blood of a god, you are also descended from the Valkyries of old.”
– Bjorn (about Freya)
• “You are a goddess among women” – Bjorn (about Freya)
• I’d lead all the warriors in our camp into battle on their faith that I was someone worth following. I wanted to prove I was worth it. Wanted them to fight at my side not because of signs from the gods but because I was strong and capable.
• “It will be Hel who takes you in death, King.”


-ˋˏ ᛥ ꒰ Bjorn | ᛒᛁᚢᚱᚾ ꒱ ᛥˎˊ-
↳ Ahhh Bjorn, I love him. I absolutely love him! And the complexities of his own. Since his first moment in the book, I was captivated much like Freya. He also has a strained relationship with his family, mainly his father Snorri and stepmother Ylva but he does his duty to them, and protects them.
🠚 I am a sucker for Viking men – but a big and strong Viking man with a soft spot for a woman? I am melting, I am suddenly on my knees and will not get up okay haha!
🠚 The way he constantly supports Freya is admirable. He is her constant voice of reason, helping to see either that whatever it was it wasn’t her fault, or that she should not forgive someone for the way they have treated her. You need this sort of dynamic: someone who is forgiving and someone who is not who calls it for what it is and thinks realistically about a situation. And who better to give you a brutal honest opinion than a brutal fighting Viking?

🠚 Women, chivalry is not deceased! In fiction, anyway. This man does the following:
ㅤㅤ☑ Listens to your problems
ㅤㅤ☑ Makes you laugh
ㅤㅤ☑ Understands you
ㅤㅤ☑ Communicates and speaks very poetic words to you when he likes you
ㅤㅤ☑ Stops you from falling and says “I’ve got you
ㅤㅤ☑ Makes sure you are putting salves on your burns AND makes said salve up for you
ㅤㅤ☑ Drapes his cloak around you when you are cold
ㅤㅤ☑ Shares his furs with you to keep you warm (and have an *interesting* morning)
ㅤㅤ☑ Makes you wet… by keeping on falling into water
ㅤㅤ☑ Opens up about his past
ㅤㅤ☑ Talks about the future
ㅤㅤ☑ Protects, attacks, and loves you the heck back
🠚 Is there an itsy-bitsy red flag at the end of the book? Yes. Was I shooketh? Absolutely. Do I think it will be a friends-to-lovers-to-enemies-to-lovers thing, and we will fix him? Of course!

*⁀➷ Favourite quotes
• “So either you are vain or you are very stupid.”
Bjorn spread his arms wide. “Why not both?”
• “You’ve never been alone… I will be at your back until I cross the threshold to Valhalla, Born-in-Fire, whether you want me there or not.”
• “You are mine, Born-in-Fire. Even if only the two of us know it.”
• “For nearly all my life, revenge for what was done to my mother was all that mattered to me. It consumed my every waking breath and I refused to allow anything else to matter. Then the most fierce and beautiful woman I’ve ever laid eyes on hit me in the face with a fish and proceeded to wind her way into my heart. To make me want a life ruled by something deeper than hate.
• “I used to dream only of fire and ash,”
he whispered, running a thumb over my cheek as I lifted my face to meet his gaze. “Now when I close my eyes, all I see is your face.”

Comments

Post a Comment